PRIVACY NOTICE AND POLICY
Effective Date/Last Updated: May 15, 2023
For the purpose of this Policy, “Personal Data” means any information that is linked or reasonably linkable to an identified or identifiable natural person.
The categories of personal data processed by US
We may collect the following Personal Data about you directly from you, from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of the Site or our Services:
- Apartment Application or Inquiry: When you apply for or inquire about becoming a resident at a property DF manages, We will ask you for certain Personal Data about you and other persons who will be living with you, including names, phone number, email address, postal address, dates of birth, social security number, rental history, and other information. You may be asked to provide a picture ID for identity verification purposes. Payment related information may also be collected.
- Background Checks: If you apply to become a resident or apply for employment, we may engage with a vendor or vendors to verify your criminal history, credit rating, or other relevant information. We may receive your name, date of birth, address and whether or not you passed the check. Our vendor will use local, state and federal criminal databases to run the background checks.
- Communications: If you contact us directly, we may collect your name, contact details, the content, date and time of your message, and other information you may directly provide to us. You may also provide us with your reviews of our Services or complete surveys regarding our Services.
- Recruitment: If you apply for a job via the “Careers” page on the Site or otherwise, we will collect your name, contact details, email, phone number and information in your resume or curriculum vitae.
- Online usage data: We may automatically collect the following information through cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies: your domain name; your browser type; operating system type, name, and version; page views; links you click; your IP address; location information; the length of time you visit or use our Services; referring URL; access date and time; mobile device ID; language information; device name and model; and other information about your activities on the Site. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies, but you may be able to change the settings of your browser to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you set your browser to reject cookies, parts of the Site may not work for you.
If you do not provide Personal Data when requested, you may not be able to become a resident of a DF-managed property or otherwise benefit from our Services if the Personal Data is necessary to provide you with services or if we are legally required to collect it.
THE PURPOSE FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
We process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To evaluate prospective tenants for residency at a DF-managed property.
- To operate DF-managed properties and provide services to DF’s residents and their guests.
- To otherwise provide the Services.
- To communicate with you about our Services, to respond to your inquiries, and for other customer service purposes.
- If applicable, in furtherance of employment recruiting and the employment process.
PERSONAL DATA that we share with third parties
DF shares Personal Data with third parties under the following circumstances:
- Affiliates: We may disclose the information we collect about you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your Personal Data will be subject to this Policy.
- Landlords: If you become a resident of a property DF manages, your landlord will be the owner of the property and certain of your Personal Data may be shared with the landlord.
- Successor manager: If you become a resident of a property DF manages, certain of your Personal Data may be shared with a management company that might replace Us.
- Service providers: We may disclose Personal Data we collect about you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf, including to facilitate the Services or to provide the Services on our behalf.
- Background checks: We may disclose the information we collect about you to a vendor or vendors to perform background checks.
- Property management software provider: A great deal of the Personal Data we collect will be hosted and stored by Our property management software provider whose platform we use to access the data in order to operate DF-managed properties and provide the Services.
- Business transfers: DF may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Data, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
- Compliance with laws and law enforcement: DF cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose your Personal Data to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of DF or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials and to our insurance services providers as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to protect the property and rights of DF or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
YOUR PERSONAL DATA CONSUMER RIGHTS
You have the right to make any of the following requests:
- To confirm whether or not We are processing your personal data and to access such personal data;
- To correct inaccuracies in your personal data;
- To delete your personal data;
- To obtain a copy of your personal data; and
- To opt out of the processing of your personal data for purposes of (i) targeted advertising, (ii) the sale of Personal Data, or (iii) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you.*
We will grant your request unless it would: (a) hinder Us from providing you with a product or service that you specifically requested; (b) performing a contract to which you are a party such as your apartment lease; (c) would interfere with protecting Us from legal claims; (d) would hinder the legitimate needs of law enforcement; or (e) other valid justification. If you remain a resident of a DF-managed property, We will need to continue to maintain Personal Data about you.
If you make a request, we will respond promptly within the time periods required by applicable law.
If you would like to make a request to exercise any of these rights, please contact Us using the contact information in the HOW TO CONTACT US section below.
If your request is denied, you may appeal the request by contacting Us using the contact information in the HOW TO CONTACT US section below. Clearly indicate that you are appealing a previous refusal to take action on your request.
*DF does not regularly or ordinarily engage in targeted advertising, sell Personal Data, or engage in profiling.
Neither the Site nor the services are directed to individuals under 13. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 13 (other than as provided by a parent or guardian who applies to become a resident at a DF-managed property or who is a resident at a DF-managed property). If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Data without their consent, he or she should contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Data, we will delete such information.
DF is very concerned with safeguarding your Personal Data. A great deal of resident-related data is housed on vendor websites, particularly that of Our property management software provider. We and Our property management software provider have established, implemented, and maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical data security practices to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility of Personal Data. However, no method of data security is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your Personal Data. We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your Personal Data to you without unreasonable delay.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Because we’re always developing and improving standards of services we provide to you, DF reserves the right to modify this Policy at any time for any reason. Any modification or amendments to this Policy will be effective immediately upon being posted on the Site. For each modification or amendment, we will revise the “Last Updated” date for this Policy. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices. Your continued use of the Site and/or any of the Services will constitute your acceptance of the revised Policy.
HOW TO CONTACT US
To contact us, use the following:
By mail: Drucker + Falk
11824 Fishing Point Drive Suite A
Newport News, VA 23606
By email: [email protected]